Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Contact Us  | 

Public Notice: Pertaining to Grouper and Tilefish Reporting


The Commission voted unanimously on May 26, 2009 to enact recreational landing permits and mandatory harvest reporting for tilefish and grouper species. These two new required permits were made available as of June 21, 2009.  The permits are free.

The permits are specific to the vessel being operated. The permits are only available at MRC Automated Agents: MRC Automated Agents
If your vessel is already registered with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, or if your charter boat is already registered with the Virginia Marine Resources Commission, then you only need to proceed to a MRC Automated Agent to provide any additional information and receive your permit.  If your vessel is not registered with either VDGIF or VMRC, then please fill-out a Tilefish and Grouper New Vessel Application Form (Application Form) and follow the instructions on the form so that staff can pre-register your vessel prior to you proceeding to a MRC Automated Agent. Also, ALL permittees are also required to report their catch.  This can be done online at the following two web locations: 
Recreational Permittees
Charter Boat Permittees


Return to Top

Virginia Marine Resources Commission - Copyright 1996-2018
Questions or Comments?  Email Web-Info
   For emergencies, boating accidents and to report violations call the Marine Police Dispatch Center toll free at (800) 541-4646
Site Index  Privacy Policy