Notice is hereby given that the Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC) will consider the following amendments to Regulation 4VAC 20-720-10, ET. SEQ., "Pertaining to Restrictions on Oyster Harvest". The proposed changes to the regulation are being made to open the area known as the Deep Water Shoal area to public oyster harvest.
The Commission will consider the proposed amended regulation and any other comments from individuals interested in this matter at a public hearing to be held at its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, January 25, 2000. The public hearing will be held in the main office of the Virginia Marine Resources Commission on the 4th Floor at 2600 Washington Avenue, Newport News. Shellfish items are scheduled to be heard after 12 noon.
Please call or submit written comments or questions regarding this proposed amended regulation to Dr. James A. Wesson, VMRC - Conservation and Replenishment Division, P. O. Box 756, Newport News, VA 23607-0756; (757)-247-2121.
THE COMPLETE AMENDED REGULATION, AS PROPOSED, CAN BE REQUESTED FROM THE VIRGINIA MARINE RESOURCES (757-247-2120) OR IS AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC REVIEW AT THE VMRC MAIN OFFICE ( 3RD FLOOR).
The proposed effective date of this regulation is February 1, 2000.
The following changes are proposed:
1. Descriptions: "Deep Water Shoal State Replenishment Seed Area" in the James River (574.66 Acres) means the following - Beginning at a point approximately 530 feet West of Deep Water Shoal Light, said point being Corner 1 as located by Virginia State Plane Coordinates, South Zone, NAD 1927, North 302,280.00, East 2,542,360.00; thence North Azimuth 30° 49' 59", 4,506.99 feet to Corner 2, North 306,150.00, East 2,544,670.00; thence North Azimuth 135° 08' 57", 5,430.60 feet to Corner 3, North 302,300.00, East 2,548,500.00; thence North Azimuth 212° 13' 54", 3,487.42 feet to Corner 4, North 299,350.00, East 2,546,640.00; thence North Azimuth 269° 10' 16", 2,765.29 feet to Corner 5, North 299,310.00, East 2,543,875.00; thence North Azimuth 332° 58' 26", 3,334.09 feet to Corner 1, being the point of beginning.
2. Open Season and Areas: James River Seed area including the Deep Water Shoal State Replenishment Seed Area: October 1, 1999 through April 30, 2000.
3. Close Season and Areas: James River Seed Area including the Deep Water Shoal State Replenishment Seed Area and the James River Jail Island and Point of Shoals Clean Cull Areas: May 1, 2000 through September 30, 2000.
4. Harvest on the public oyster grounds in that area of the James River Seed Area including the Deep Water Shoal State Replenishment Seed Area, the James River Jail Island and Point of Shoals Clean Cull Areas shall be from sunrise to 2:00 p.m., daily.
5. It shall be unlawful for any person to harvest oysters from public oyster grounds or unassigned grounds in the James River including the Deep Water Shoal State Replenishment Seed Area with shaft tongs longer than 18 feet in total overall length.
6. In the James River Seed Area including the Deep Water Shoal State Replenishment Seed Area there shall be an oyster harvest quota of 80,000 bushels of seed oysters.
7. In the James River Seed including the Deep Water Shoal State Replenishment Seed Area and Clean Cull areas there shall be an oyster harvest quota of 15,000 bushels of market oysters.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE KATHERINE LEONARD (757) 247-2120, NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.