The Virginia Marine Resources Commission invites public comment on proposed amendments to the regulations listed below.
In accordance with §28.2-209 of the Code of Virginia, a public hearing on the proposed amendments will be held at 12:00 Noon on Tuesday, June 24, at the Marine Resources Commission, 2600 Washington Avenue, Newport News, Virginia. Written comments on the proposals should be mailed to Jack Travelstead, VMRC Fisheries Management Division, P. O. Box 756, Newport News, Virginia 23607. Copies of the proposed amendments may be reviewed at the Commission Monday through Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and may be obtained by calling the Commission at (757) 247-2248.
I. Regulation 4 VAC 20-1070-10 et seq., "Pertaining to Haul Seines."
The Commission proposes to establish a regulation to regulate the use of a haul seine. The proposed regulation may include but shall not be limited to any of the following requirements.
1) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess aboard a vessel, place or set in the water, or encircle and enclose any haul seine with a total length of netting that exceeds 1000 yards.
2) It shall be unlawful for any person to tie together, and to set or fish, two or more haul seines with a combined total length of netting that exceeds 1000 yards.
3) It shall be unlawful for any person to tow a haul seine, between two vessels, so that it operates as a long haul seine, trawl or pair trawl. When setting a haul seine with more than one vessel, it shall be unlawful for any person to tow a haul seine through the water in an open fashion for any period of time that is longer than necessary to encircle or close the net.
4) It shall be unlawful for any person to use more than two vessels to set, encircle, and enclose any haul seine.
5) It shall be unlawful to use more than one vessel to set the haul seine.
6) It shall be unlawful to use a haul seine, which does not have one end stationary at all times.
7) It shall be unlawful to use any haul seine in any area that contains Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (SAV).
II. Regulation 4 VAC 20-950-10 et seq., "Pertaining to Black Sea Bass."
The Commission proposes to modify the commercial black sea bass quota for Virginia from 666,400 pounds to 600,407 pounds. Quotas for the Directed (Individual Fishing Quotas) and Bycatch Fisheries will also been modified. The Directed Fishery quota will be 558,334 pounds of black sea bass. The Bycatch Fishery quota will be 42,073 pounds of black sea bass.
III. Regulation 4 VAC 20-910-10 et seq., "Pertaining to Scup."
The Commission proposes to modify the commercial harvest of scup for the May 1 through October 31 period. The total quota for this period will be 7,721 pounds of scup.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE DEBORAH CAWTHON (757) 247-2248 NO LESS THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING TIME AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.