Agenda Items for the August 26, 2003 Commission meeting are listed below with the Commission's actions in bold.
1. MINUTES of previous meeting. The Commission voted, 4-0, to approve the minutes as circulated.
2. PERMITS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval). The Commission voted, 4-0, to approve the permits with staff recommendations.
3. EXECUTIVE SESSION. No session was held.
4. MURRAY HOWELL, #99-0970, requests authorization to construct a 16-foot by 34-foot open-sided boathouse near the channelward end of a 160-foot private pier adjacent to his property situated along the Piankatank River in Middlesex County. An adjoining property owner protests the project. The Commission voted, 5-0, to approve the project.
5. RIVER POINTE VILLAGE PIER, #03-1595, requests authorization to install two (2) 144-foot long by 6-foot wide floating piers, ten (10) finger piers, 12 mooring piles and a 72-foot long by 4-foot wide floating walkway at a community pier to create 14 slips adjacent to their property situated along the Western Branch of the Elizabeth River in the City of Portsmouth. The Commission voted, 6-0, to approve the project with a reduction of the slips from 14 to 10 and with a new set of slip drawings provided by the developer.
6. KENT EARLY, #02-2344, requests authorization to construct an 8-foot wide private pier extending 460 feet channelward of mean high water with a 54-foot by 24-foot open-sided boathouse, a 10-foot by 18-foot awning cover for a personal watercraft slip, and 1,480 square feet of open-pile pierhead and finger piers at the channelward end of the pier, and to construct two timber groins extending 48 feet channelward of mean high water with 10 cubic yards of sand placed as beach nourishment in the groin cell adjacent to his property situated along the York River in Gloucester County. The Commission voted, 4-3, to approve the permit.
7. RANDALL SARFAN, et al, #02-2234, requests after-the-fact authorization to retain an 85-foot long by 4-foot wide open-pile walkway, a 16' x 12' floating dock and two (2) boatlifts at a community pier adjacent to his property situated along the Salt Ponds in the City of Hampton. The Commission voted, 6-0, to approve the permit with triple the fees and a civil charge of $600.00 in lieu of further enforcement action.
8. DANIEL HUDDY, #03-1046, requests authorization to install a single mooring buoy located at 37( 44' 26" North Latitude and 76( 30' 59" West Longitude, 300 feet offshore of his property on the Western Branch of the Corrotoman River in Lancaster County. A county resident protests the project. The Commission voted, 6-0, to approve the permit.
9. OTHER ITEMS: The Commission received a report on a Westmoreland County riprap project that was questioned by Doug Jenkins of the Twin Rivers Watermen's Association. The report said the action taken was within the purview of the county wetlands board.
10. PUBLIC COMMENTS: None were heard.
11. Request for Public Hearing: Proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-1070-10 et seq. to address haul seine/submerged aquatic vegetation interactions. The Commission voted, 6-0, to delay further discussion until the Virginia Institute of Marine Science makes the 2002-2003 SAV report and hold a public hearing in February 2004 if the material is available.
12. Request for Public Hearing: Proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-950-et seq. "Pertaining to Black Sea Bass". The Commission voted, 6-0, to hold a public hearing at its Sept. 23rd meeting.
13. Request for Public Hearing: Proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC
20-720 and 4 VAC 20-650 establishing 2003/2004-oyster harvest rules. The
Commission voted twice, 6-0, to set the two regulations for public hearing at
its Sept. 23rd meeting.
NEXT MEETING: September 23, 2003